Alan C. Dalkin, MD - Endocrinology and Metabolism
Dr. Alan C. Dalkin reviews medical content for Healthwise, a nonprofit organization with a mission to help people make better health decisions. Dr. Dalkin is an internist who specializes in endocrinology and metabolism. He has a particular interest in the diagnosis and treatment of osteoporosis. He has been affiliated with the University of Virginia Health Sciences Center in Charlottesville, Virginia, since 1991 and was named Associate Professor of Internal Medicine in 1997 and Professor of Internal Medicine in 2007.
Dr. Dalkin is active in scientific research and has coauthored book chapters, abstracts, and articles published in leading medical journals. He has presented dozens of papers and has been invited to speak at national and regional endocrinology conferences. In addition, he serves as an ad hoc reviewer of articles for the journals Clinical Chemistry, Clinical Endocrinology, and Endocrinology.
- American Board of Internal Medicine—1987
- ABIM Subspecialty in Endocrinology and Metabolism—1990
Healthwise Knowledgebase Topics Reviewed
- Medical test topics related to Endocrinology, including Blood Glucose Test, Glucose Tolerance Test, and Bone Mineral Density
- Addison's Disease
- MD: University of Michigan Medical School, 1984
- Internship and Residency in Internal Medicine: University of Chicago Hospitals, 1984–1987
- Fellowship in Endocrinology and Metabolism: University of Michigan Medical Center, Ann Arbor, 1987–1990
- University of Michigan Medical Center, Ann Arbor, Assistant Professor of Internal Medicine, 1990–1991
- University of Virginia Health Sciences Center,
Charlottesville, Division of Endocrinology and Metabolism, Dept. of Internal
- Assistant Professor of Internal Medicine, 1991–1997
- Associate Professor of Internal Medicine, 1997–2007
- Professor of Internal Medicine, 2007–present
- American College of Physicians
- Endocrine Society
- The Pituitary Society, Society for the Study of Reproduction
- Prendergast KA, Burger LL, Aylor KW, Haisenleder DJ, Dalkin AC, Marshall JC (2004). Pituitary follistatin gene expression in female rats: Evidence that inhibin regulates transcription. Biology of Reproduction, 70(2): 364-370.
- Haisenleder DJ, Burger LL, Aylor KW, Dalkin AC, Walsh HE, Shupnik MA, Marshall JC (2005). Testosterone stimulates FSH beta transcription via activation of extracellular signal-regulated kinase (ERK) in rat pituitary cells. Biology of Reproduction, 72(3): 523–529.
- Imel EA, Peacock M, Pitukcheewanont P, Heller H, Ward L, Shulman D, Kassem M, Rackoff P, Zimering M, Dalkin A, Drobney E, Colussi G, Shaker J, Hoogendorn E, Evans W, Econs MJ (2006). The sensitivity of Fibroblast Growth Factor 23 measurements in tumor induced osteomalacia. Journal of Clinical Endocrinology and Metabolism, 91(6): 2055-2061.
- Javorsky B, Dalkin AC (2007). Hypercalcemia: A practical approach to a surprising condition. Emergency Medicine; 39(9): 13-20.
- Pinkerton JV, Dalkin AC (2007). Combination therapy for treatment of osteoporosis: A review. American Journal of Obstetrics and Gynecology, 197(5): 559-565.