How Common Is Hyperthyroidism?
- Can occur at any age but rarely affects children.
- Affects women more often than men.
- Occurs in about 1 or 2 out of 100 women.
- Affects up to 10 times more women than men.
- Is most common in people between ages 20 and 50.
|Editor||Susan Van Houten, RN, BSN, MBA|
|Associate Editor||Pat Truman, MATC|
|Primary Medical Reviewer||E. Gregory Thompson, MD - Internal Medicine|
|Specialist Medical Reviewer||Matthew I. Kim, MD - Endocrinology & Metabolism|
|Last Updated||November 4, 2009|
Last Updated: November 4, 2009
Jameson JL, Weetman AP (2008). Hypothyroidism section of Disorders of the thyroid gland. In AS Fauci et al., eds., Harrison's Principles of Internal Medicine, 17th ed., vol. 2, pp. 2224–2237. New York: McGraw-Hill.