David S. Smith, MD - Family Medicine
Dr. David S. Smith reviews medical content for Healthwise, a nonprofit organization with a mission to help people make better health decisions. Dr. Smith is a family medicine physician with a special interest in Down Syndrome and has devoted much of his career to teaching. He has been director of the Down Syndrome Clinic of Wisconsin in Milwaukee since 1996 and is on the editorial board of the Down Syndrome Quarterly. Dr. Smith is a lecturer on Down Syndrome and has served as co-principal investigator on two related grants, "A Family-Centered Down Syndrome Clinic," in 1995 - 1996 and 1996 - 1997.
Dr. Smith is in private practice in Hartford, Wisconsin. He has been a reviewer for American Family Physician since 1993.
- MD: University of Connecticut School of Medicine, Farmington, CT, 1980
- Residency: Wausau Family Practice (affiliated with University of Wisconsin), 1980 - 1983
- Assistant Professor of Family and Community Medicine, Medical College of Wisconsin, Milwaukee, WI, 1990–2002
- Clinical Assistant Professor and Preceptor, University of Wisconsin, Milwaukee School of Nursing Family Nurse Practitioner Program, 1995–2002
- Clinical Assistant Professor of Family & Community Medicine, Medical College, Wisconsin, 2003 - present
- Children's Hospital of Wisconsin, Milwaukee, WI, 1987–present
- St. Joseph Community Hospital, West Bend, WI, 2000–present
- American Academy of Family Physicians
- Down Syndrome Medical Interest Group