G. Frederick Wooten Jr., MD - Neurology
Dr. G. Frederick Wooten reviews medical content for Healthwise, a nonprofit organization with a mission to help people make better health decisions. Dr. Wooten is Professor and Chairman of the Dept. of Neurology at the University of Virginia Health Sciences Center in Charlottesville. He is actively involved in research and has served as principal or co-investigator for a number of studies involving Parkinson's Disease and Huntington's Disease. Dr. Wooten is a member of the Parkinson Study Group, which conducts clinical studies on the treatment of the disease and publishes the results.
Since 1994, Dr. Wooten has served as Director of the American Parkinson Disease Association's Advanced Center for Parkinson's Research at the University of Virginia. He is a well-known author and lecturer on Parkinson's Disease and other neurological problems and serves on the editorial board of Parkinsonism and Related Disorders. He is the principal investigator for Udall Center for Research in Parkinson's Disease (NINDS) at the University of Virginia.
- M.D.: Cornell University Medical College, New York, 1970
- Internship in Internal Medicine: H.C. Moffitt, University of California Hospitals, San Francisco, 1970 - 1971
- Fellowship: National Institutes of Mental Health Section on Pharmacology, 1971 - 1974
- Residency in Neurology: New York Hospital, Cornell Medical Center, 1974 - 1976
- Instructor in Neurobiology and Neurology, Cornell University Medical College, 1976 - 1977
University School of Medicine, St. Louis:
- Assistant Professor of Neurology, 1977 - 1980
- Assistant Professor of Pharmacology, 1978 - 1982
- Associate Professor of Neurology, 1980 - 1982
- University of Virginia School of Medicine,
- Professor of Neurology, 1982 - present
- Acting Chairman, Dept. of Neuroscience, 1985 - 1986
- Chairman, Dept. of Neurology, 1989 - present
Selected Professional Affiliations
- American Academy of Neurology
- American Board of Psychiatry and Neurology
- American Neurological Association
- American Parkinson Disease Association
- Association of University Professors of Neurology
- Parkinson's Disease Foundation
- Parkinson Study Group (1996). Impact of deprenyl and tocopherol treatment on Parkinson's disease in DATATOP subjects not requiring levodopa. Annals of Neurology 39: 29 - 36.
- Parkinson Study Group (1996). Impact of deprenyl and tocopherol treatment on Parkinson's disease in DATATOP subjects requiring levodopa. Annals of Neurology 39: 37 - 45.
- Currie LJ, Bennett JP, Harrison MB, et al. (1997). Clinical correlates of sleep benefit in Parkinson's disease. Neurology 48: 1115 - 1117.
- Kieburtz K and the Parkinson Study Group (1997). Safety and efficacy of Pramipexole in early Parkinson's disease. JAMA 278: 125 - 130.