Frederick A. Matsen III, MD - Orthopedics
Dr. Matsen is an orthopedic surgeon who specializes in the research and treatment of shoulder and elbow problems. He is professor and chairman of the University of Washington School of Medicine's Department of Orthopaedics and adjunct professor in the Center of Bioengineering. He is also an affiliate professor at the College of Nursing and Health Sciences at the University of Alaska. Dr. Matsen is an attending orthopedic surgeon at the Children's Orthopedic Hospital, Harborview Medical Center, and the University of Washington Hospital, where he is chief of the Orthopaedic Service.
Dr. Matsen has served as the primary or co-principal investigator on many orthopedic research projects and has written or coauthored dozens of journal articles. He is coauthor of the book Practical Evaluation and Management of the Shoulder, published in 1994. Dr. Matsen has served as the associate editor of the Journal of Orthopaedic Research and Clinical Orthopaedics and Related Research and is an editor of the Video Journal of Orthopaedics. He is a founding member and past president of the American Shoulder and Elbow Surgeons.
- MD: Baylor University College of Medicine, Houston, 1968
- Internship: Johns Hopkins Hospital, Baltimore, 1968–1969
- Residency: University of Washington Medical Center, Seattle, 1971–1974
- National Institutes of Health, National Institute of Neurological Disorders and Stroke, Bethesda, 1969–1971
- National Institutes of Health Training, Bethesda, 1973– 1974
- American-British-Canadian Orthopaedic Association, Great Britain and South Africa, 1983
- University of Washington School of Medicine,
Department of Orthopaedics, Seattle:
- Acting Instructor, 1974
- Assistant Professor, 1975–1979
- Director, Medical Students Orthopaedic Education, 1975–1978
- Director, Orthopaedic Residency Program, 1978–1981
- Associate Professor, 1979–1982
- Department Vice Chairman, 1981–1985
- Professor, 1982–present
- Acting Chairman, 1983–1984
- Chairman, 1986–present
- Adjunct Professor, November 1985–present
- University of Washington, Center of Bioengineering, Seattle:
- Affiliate Professor, University of Alaska College of Nursing and Health Sciences, Anchorage, 1982
- Attending orthopedic surgeon, Harborview Medical Center, Seattle, 1975–present
- Attending orthopedic surgeon, University of Washington Hospital, Seattle, 1975–present
- Chief, Orthopaedic Service, University of Washington Hospital, Seattle, 1981–present
- Academic Orthopaedic Society
- American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons
- American Medical Association Orthopaedic Research Society
- American Orthopaedic Association
- American Shoulder and Elbow Surgeons
- Association of Bone and Joint Surgeons
- European Microcirculation Society
- Mack LA, Matsen FA III (1995). Rotator cuff (review). Clinics in Diagnostic Ultrasound, 30: 113–133.
- Matsen FA III (1996). Early effectiveness of shoulder arthroplasty for patients who have primary glenohumeral degenerative joint disease. Journal of Bone and Joint Surgery, 78(2): 260–264.
- Harryman DT II, Matsen FA III, Sidles JA (1997). Arthroscopic management of refractory shoulder stiffness. Arthroscopy, 31(2): 133–147.
- Matsen FA III, Smith KL, DeBartolo SE, Von Oesen G (1997). A comparison of patients with late-stage rheumatoid arthritis and osteoarthritis of the shoulder using self-assessed shoulder function and health status. Arthritis Care and Research, 10(2): 43–47.
- Rockwood CA, Matsen FA III (1990). The Shoulder, vols. 1 and 2. Philadelphia: W.B. Saunders.
- Lippitt SB, Harryman DT, Matsen FA III (1993). A practical tool for evaluating function: The simple shoulder test. In The Shoulder: A Balance of Mobility and Stability. Rosemont, IL: American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons.
- Matsen FA III, Lippitt SB, Sidles JA, Harryman DT (1994). Practical Evaluation and Management of the Shoulder. Philadelphia: W.B. Saunders.
- Rockwood CA, Matsen FA III (1998) The Shoulder, 2nd ed., vols. 1 and 2. Philadelphia: W.B. Saunders.