Seymour Diamond, MD - Headaches
Dr. Seymour Diamond reviews medical content for Healthwise, a nonprofit organization with a mission to help people make better health decisions. He is director and founder of the Diamond Headache Clinic, which was established in 1972. The clinic serves individuals who suffer from various types of headache, and it supports research into headache causes and treatments. He is also director of the Diamond Inpatient Headache Unit at Saint Joseph Hospital in Chicago and is adjunct professor of Cellular and Molecular Pharmacology and clinical professor of Family Medicine at the Chicago Medical School at Rosalind Franklin University of Medicine and Science in North Chicago, Illinois.
Dr. Diamond has published more than 450 articles in the professional literature and is the author or coauthor of more than 30 books. In 1992, he co-edited The Practicing Physician's Approach to Headache, 5th edition. He has lectured extensively throughout the United States, Europe, and Asia.
He is executive chairman of the National Headache Foundation, which he helped found in 1970. He is the former executive officer of the World Federation of Neurology Research Group on Migraine and Headache.
- Lifetime Achievement Award, American Association for the Study of Headache 41st Annual Scientific Meeting, 1999
- National Migraine Foundation Lectureship Award, 1982
- Migraine Trust Lectureship, first recipient, 1988
- Certificate of Added Qualification in Headache Management, National Board for Certification in Headache Management, first recipient, 2001
- President's Award, Chicago Medical School Alumni Association, 2002
- Presidential Recognition Award, Association for Applied Psychophysiology and Biofeedback, 2005
Healthwise Knowledgebase Topics Reviewed
- Cluster Headaches
- Tension/Migraine Headaches
- Headaches (symptom topic)
- Clinical Professor of Family Medicine, Chicago Medical School at Rosalind Franklin University of Medicine, North Chicago, IL
- Adjunct Professor of Cellular and Molecular Pharmacology, Chicago Medical School at Rosalind Franklin University of Medicine, North Chicago, IL
- Diamond S, Diamond ML (2008). Diagnosing and Managing Headaches, 7th Edition. Caddo, OK: Professional Communications.
- Freitag FG, Diamond S, Diamond M, Urban G (2008). Botulinum Toxin Type A in the treatment of chronic migraine without medication overuse. Headache, 48(2): 201–209.
- Diamond S (2007). Evolution of migraine drugs. Drug Development Research, 68(6): 270–275.
- Diamond S, Bigal ME, Silbertstein S, Loder E, Reed M, Lipton RB (2007). Patterns of diagnosis and acute and preventive treatment for migraine in the United States: Results from the American Migraine Prevalence and Prevention Study. Headache, 47(3): 355–363.
- Diamond S, Freitag FG, Feoktistov A, Nissal G (2006). Subcutaneous sumatriptan as a successful treatment for migraine associated with allodynia. Headache Pain, 17: 174–180.
- Diamond S (2005). Headache Through the Ages. Caddo, OK: Professional Communications.
- Diamond S, Diamond A (2001). Headache and Your Child. New York: Simon and Schuster.
- Diamond S, Franklin MA (2001). Conquering Your Migraine. New York: Simon and Schuster.
- Diamond S (1994). Head pain: Diagnosis and management. Clinical Symposia, 46(3): 2–34.