Jerome B. Simon, MD, FRCPC, FACP - Gastroenterology
Dr. Jerome B. Simon reviews medical content for Healthwise, a nonprofit organization with a mission to help people make better health decisions. Dr. Simon is an internist with specialized training in gastroenterology at the Kingston General and Hotel Dieu hospitals in Kingston, Ontario. He is a professor emeritus in the Department of Medicine at Queen's University. In 2000 Dr. Simon received the Aesculapian Society Education Award, as he had in 1995 and 1999. In each year from 2001 through 2004 he received the Aesculapian Society Phase IIE Teaching Award. He has also received the Basmajian Award for his research.
Dr. Simon has served as a manuscript referee for a number of peer-reviewed journals, including the New England Journal of Medicine, Canadian Medical Association Journal, Hepatology, Gastroenterology, JAMA, and the Canadian Journal of Gastroenterology. He has been an active researcher and lecturer and is widely published in Canada and the United States.
- Fellow, Royal College of Physicians of Canada—1966
- Diplomate, American Board of Internal Medicine—1969
- Fellow, American College of Gastroenterology (FACG)—1983
- Fellow, American College of Physicians (FACP)—1986
Healthwise Knowledgebase Topics Reviewed
- Colorectal Cancer, Metastatic or Recurrent
- Food Allergies
- Hepatitis B
- Hepatitis C
- Hiatal Hernia
- Inguinal Hernia
- Lactose Intolerance
- Peptic Ulcer Disease
- Sigmoidoscopy (Anoscopy, Proctoscopy)
- And numerous others
- M.D.: Queen's University, Ontario, 1962
- Rotating Intern: Montreal General Hospital, Montreal, Quebec, 1962–1963
- Junior Assistant and Senior Assistant Resident in Medicine: Montreal General Hospital, 1963–1965
- Training Resident in Gastroenterology: Montreal General Hospital, 1965–1966
- Clinical Postdoctoral Fellow: Liver Study Unit, Yale University, New Haven, CT, 1966–1967
- Postdoctoral Research Fellow: Liver Study Unit, Yale University, 1967–1969
- Professor emeritus, Queen's University, Kingston, Ontario, 2005–present
- Professor, Queen's University, Kingston, Ontario, 1988–2005
- Adjunct Staff, Hotel Dieu Hospital, 2005–present
- Adjunct Staff, Kingston General Hospital, 2005–present
- Attending Staff, Hotel Dieu Hospital, 1992–2005
- Attending Staff, Kingston General Hospital, 1969–2005
- Simon JB (2000). Screening colonoscopy: Is it time? Canadian Medical Association Journal, 163(10): 1277–1278.
- Simon JB (2000). The sections Approach to the patient with liver disease (including Clinical features of liver disease; Laboratory, radiologic, and histologic evaluation; and Clinical approach) and Drug-induced liver disease. In ABR Thomson, EA Shaffer, eds., First Principles of Gastroenterology, 4th ed., pp. 499–512, 549–554. Edmonton, AB: Astra.
- Simon JB (2006). Hepatic and biliary disorder chapters on Clinical features of liver disease; Hepatitis; Drugs and the liver; and Liver masses and granulomas. In MH Beers, R Berkow, eds., Merck Manual, 18th ed. Whitehouse Station, NJ: Merck.
- Simon JB (1998). Fecal occult blood testing: Clinical value and limitations. Gastroenterologist, 6(1): 66–78.