Stephen Fort, MD, MRCP, FRCPC - Interventional Cardiology
Dr. Stephen Fort reviews medical content for Healthwise, a nonprofit organization with a mission to help people make better health decisions. Dr. Fort is an Interventional Cardiologist at The Kelowna General Hospital in BC, Canada and former Associate Professor and Director of the Cardiac Catheterization Laboratories at Dalhousie University and Queen Elizabeth II Health Sciences Centre in Halifax, Nova Scotia. He is a reviewer for the journals Heart, Catheterization and Cardiovascular Interventions, and is a frequent lecturer on cardiovascular topics.
- Member, Royal College of Physicians (UK)—1987
- Licentiate, Medical Council of Canada—1999
- Fellow in Internal Medicine, Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons of Canada—1999
- Fellow in Cardiology, Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons of Canada—2000
Healthwise Knowledgebase Topics Reviewed
- Aortic Valve Regurgitation
- Aortic Valve Stenosis
- Atrial Fibrillation
- Coronary Artery Disease
- Mitral Valve Regurgitation
- BSc (Hons) Biochemistry: University of Leeds, Leeds, England, 1982
- MB ChB: University of Leeds, Leeds, England, 1984
- Medical and Surgical House Officer: St. James's University Hospital, Leeds, England, 1984–1985
- Senior House Officer in General Medicine: Chapel Allerton Hospital, Leeds, England, 1985–1986
- Senior House Officer in Chest Medicine and Haematology: Killingbeck Hospital, Leeds, England, 1986
- Registrar in Endocrinology and Senior House Officer in Cardiology: University Hospital, Cardiff, Wales, 1987
- Registrar in Nephrology: Cardiff Royal Infirmary, Cardiff, Wales, 1987–1988
- Registrar in General/Respiratory Medicine and Geriatric/General Medicine: University Hospital, Cardiff, Wales, 1988–1989
- Registrar in Cardiology and Gastroenterology: University Hospital, Cardiff, Wales, 1989
- British Heart Foundation Junior Research Fellow and Honorary Cardiology Registrar: University of Wales College of Medicine, Cardiff, Wales, 1989–1991
- Registrar in Cardiology: Royal London Hospital, London, England, 1991–1993
- MD: University of Leeds, Leeds, England, 1993
- Senior Registrar in Cardiology: Western General Hospital and Royal Infirmary, Edinburgh, Scotland, 1993–1995
- Senior Fellow in Interventional Cardiology: Toronto General Hospital, Toronto, ON, 1995–1996
- Senior Registrar in Cardiology: Western General Hospital and Royal Infirmary, Edinburgh, Scotland, 1996–1998
- Senior Clinical Fellow in Cardiology: Sunnybrook and Women's College Health Science Centre and University of Toronto, Toronto, ON, 1998–2000
- Associate Professor, Dalhousie University, Halifax, NS, 2003–2009
- Assistant Professor of Medicine, University of Toronto, Toronto, ON, 2000–2003
- Director, Intravascular Ultrasound Core Laboratory, University of Toronto, Toronto, ON, 2000-2003
- Interventional Cardiologist, Kelowna General Hospital, BC, Canada, 2009-present
- Staff Cardiologist, Queen Elizabeth II Health Sciences Centre, Halifax, NS, 2003-2009
- Director, Cardiac Catheterisation Laboratory, Queen Elizabeth II Health Sciences Centre, Halifax, NS, 2003-2009
- Staff Cardiologist, Sunnybrook and Women's College Health Science Centre, Toronto, ON, 2000-2003
- Deputy Head, Cardiac Catheretization Laboratory and Interventional Program, Sunnybrook and Women's College Health Science Centre, Toronto, ON, 2001-2003
- Shammeri Al, Crowell R, Stewart K, Fort S. (2009) Failed Pericardiocentesis for Acute Cardiac Tamponade: Two Cases Associated with Bivalirudin Administration During PCI.Cath & Cardiovasc Intervention, in press.
- Zhu XF, Richards J, Tu JV, Carere RG, Cohen EA, Dzavik V, Fort S, Goodman SG, Knudtson ML, Love MP, Nallamothu BK, Rinfret S, Teo KK (2008). Canadian Quality Indicators for Percutaneous coronary Interventions in Canada. Canadian Journal of Cardiology.24(12):899-903.
- Fort S, Kornowski R, Silber S, Lewis B, Bilodeau L, Almagor Y, Morice MC, Colombo A. (2007). Fused-gold vs. bare stainless steel NIRflex stents of the same geometric design in diseased native coronary arteries - long term results from the NIRTOP study. EuroInterven. 3:256-261.
- Madan M, Radhakrishnan S, Meis R, Paradiso-Hardy FL, Godin-Edgecombe M, Sparling C, Phillips AM, Shanmasegaram S, Fort S, Naqvi SZ, Cohen EA. (2005). Randomized comparison of enoxaparin versus heparin during elective percutaneous coronary intervention performed with glycoprotein IIb/IIIa inhibition: the ACTION Trial. American Journal of Cardiology.95(11): 1295-301.
- Robert N, Komlijenovic PT, Fort S, Rowlands JA. (2005). Real-time image equalisation for coronary angiography. Cath & Cardiovasc Intervention. 65(2): 288-294.
- Foltz WD, Huang H, Fort S, Wright GA (2002). Vasodilator response assessment in porcine myocardium using MRI relaxometry. Circulation, 106(21): 2714-2719.
Last Updated: January 27, 2010