Daniel R. Tobin, MD - Palliative Medicine
Dr. Tobin is an assistant professor in psychiatry at Dartmouth Medical School. He is a palliative care physician and director of The Life Institute/VA Healthcare Network Upstate NY.
Dr. Tobin is the principal investigator of the Robert Wood Johnson–funded National Advanced Illness Coordinated Care (NAICC) Program, a national demonstration project that, in association with the National Chronic Care Consortium and Milliman USA, is evaluating operational and insurance reimbursement models for advanced illness/end-of-life care through multiple health systems.
Dr. Tobin is a national consultant on end-of-life care for National Blue Cross/Blue Shield plans, Supportive Care of the Dying and Catholic Health Services, and nursing home palliative care initiatives. He has developed the Pediatric Advanced Illness Coordinated Care (PAICC) program with members of the Children’s Oncology Group/End-of-Life Task Force and has written training manuals and articles focusing on the integration of advanced illness/end-of-life care within health plans and health systems.
- MD: Albany Medical College, Albany, NY, 1982
- Internship: Genesee Hospital, Rochester, NY, 1983
- Residency in Ophthalmology: Albany Medical Center Hospital, Albany, NY, 1986
- Independent Fellowship in Hospice/Palliative Care: VA Hospital, Department of Medicine, Geriatric Medicine, Albany, NY, 1997–1998
- Adjunct Assistant Professor in Psychiatry, Dartmouth Medical School, Dartmouth, NH, 1995–present
- Staff Physician, Hospice/Palliative Care, VA Hospital, Albany, NY, 1995–present
- American Academy of Hospice and Palliative Medicine
- Partnership for Caring
- National VA Palliative Care Steering Committee
- American College of Physicians Task Force on Consumer Education in End-of-Life Care
- Hilden J, Tobin DR (2002). How to Care for Your Seriously Ill Child. Reading, MA: Perseus Books.
- Larson DG, Tobin DR (2000). End-of-life conversation: Evolving practice and theory, JAMA, 284(12): 1573–1578.
- Tobin DR, Larson DG (2000). Advanced Illness Coordinated Care Communication Training Manual. Albany, NY: Life Institute Press.
- Tobin DR (1999). Peaceful Dying. Reading, MA: Perseus Books.
- Tobin DR, Conlon JE (1999). A managed care model for end-of-life care. In WB Bateman et al., eds., Patient and Family Education in Managed Care and Beyond: Seizing the Teachable Moment, pp. 193–199. New York: Springer.