Arvydas D. Vanagunas, MD, FACP, FACG - Gastroenterology
Dr. Arvydas D. Vanagunas reviews medical content for Healthwise, a nonprofit organization with a mission to help people make better health decisions. Dr. Vanagunas is a Professor of Medicine at the Feinberg School of Medicine in Chicago, IL, and a distinguished teacher in the field of gastroenterology. He has served on numerous hospital and medical school committees at Northwestern University.
Dr. Vanagunas is also a distinguished lecturer who has addressed local and national medical meetings. In addition, he is a reviewer for several medical journals, including Hepatology, American Journal of Gastroenterology, Gastrointestinal Radiology, and the Journal of the American Medical Association (JAMA).
Dr. Vanagunas is involved in a variety of public service activities. From 1999 through 2002, he was a member of the judging committees for Ronald McDonald charities and the United Negro College Fund Health and Medical Scholars programs. Since 1990, he has served as the president of the Lithuanian-American Medical Society.
- American Board of Internal Medicine
- American Board of Internal Medicine, Gastroenterology
Healthwise Knowledgebase Topics Reviewed
- Colorectal Cancer
- Colon Polyps
- Crohn's Disease
- Irritable Bowel Syndrome
- MD: University of Illinois, Chicago, IL, 1973
- Internship: Internal Medicine, Northwestern University Medical School, Chicago, IL, 1973–1974
- Residency: Internal Medicine, Northwestern University Medical School, Chicago, IL, 1974–1976
- Chief Resident: Medicine, Veterans Administration Lakeside Hospital, Chicago, IL, 1976–1977
- Chief Resident: Medicine, Columbus Hospital, Chicago, IL, 1977–1978
- Fellowship: Gastroenterology, Northwestern University Medical School and Northwestern Memorial Hospital, Chicago, IL, 1978–1980
- Professor, Feinberg School of Medicine, Northwestern University Medical School, Chicago, IL, 2002–present
- Northwestern Memorial Hospital, Chicago, IL
- Rehabilitation Institute of Chicago, Chicago, IL
- Veterans Administration Lakeside Hospital, Chicago, IL
- American College of Gastroenterology
- American College of Physicians
- American Society of Gastrointestinal Endoscopy
- American College of Physician Executives
- Chicago Society for Gastroenterology
- Lithuanian-American Medical Association
- Medical Group Management Association
- Midwest Gut Club
- Chicago Medical Society
- Vanagunas AD, Srivastava A (2004). Endoscopy of the esophagus. In TW Shields, ed., General Thoracic Surgery, 6th ed. Philadelphia: Lippincott Williams and Wilkins.
- Vanagunas AD (2004). Inflammatory disorders of the esophagus. In TW Shields, ed., General Thoracic Surgery, 6th ed. Philadelphia: Lippincott Williams and Wilkins.
- Vanagunas AD, Pandolfino J (2004). Gastrointestinal complications of pregnancy. In Sciarra JJ, ed., Gynecology and Obstetrics, chap. 30. Philadelphia: JB Lippincott.
- Vanagunas AD, Lin D, Stryker S (2004). Accuracy of endoscopic ultrasound staging of rectal cancer after neoadjuvant therapy. American Journal of Gastroenterology, 99(1): 109–112.
- Jones MP, Ebert CC, Sloan T, Spanier J, Banasal A, Howden CW, Vanagunas AD (2004). Patient anxiety and elective gastrointestinal endoscopy. Journal of Clinical Gastroenterology, 38(1): 35–40.
- Paice J, Noskin G, Vanagunas AD, Shott S (2005). Efficacy and safety of scheduled dosing of opioid analgesics: A quality improvement study. Journal of Pain, 6(10): 639–643.