Colin H. Chalk, MD, CM, FRCPC - Neurology
Dr. Colin Chalk reviews medical content for Healthwise, a nonprofit organization with a mission to help people make better health decisions. Dr. Colin Chalk is currently an associate professor with the Department of Neurology and Neurosurgery at McGill University in Montreal. In addition, Dr. Chalk serves on the faculty of McGill University as an associate member of the Department of Anatomy and Cell Biology and is an associate physician in neurological medicine at Montreal General Hospital. Dr. Chalk has focused much of his study on significant nerve disorders such as peripheral neuropathy, Guillain-Barré syndrome, and demyelinating diseases.
Dr. Chalk began his career at the Mayo Clinic, where he completed his residency in neurology in 1990 and earned the Henry W. Woltman award for superior performance in clinical neurology. Since then, McGill University has named him Teacher of the Year three times and has added him to the Faculty Honor List for Educational Excellence.
Dr. Chalk has been on the editorial board for Seminars in Neurology and is an ad hoc reviewer for numerous medical and scientific journals, such as Neurology and the Canadian Journal of Neurological Science.
Healthwise Knowledgebase Topics Reviewed
- Bell's Palsy
- Benign Paroxysmal Positional Vertigo (BPPV)
- Nervous System Problems
- Vestibular Neuronitis
- Alzheimer's Disease
- MD: McGill University, Montreal, QC, 1984
- Internship: St. Paul's Hospital, Vancouver, BC, 1984–1985
- Residency in Internal Medicine: St. Paul's Hospital, University of British Columbia, Vancouver, BC, 1985–1986
- Residency in Neurology: Mayo Clinic, Rochester, MN, 1986–1988
- Senior Registrar and Clinical Lecturer in Neurology: Radcliff Infirmary (University of Oxford), Oxford, UK, 1988–1989
- Resident in Neurology: Mayo Clinic, Rochester, MN, 1989–1990
- Fellowship in Peripheral Nerve Diseases: Mayo Clinic, Rochester, MN, 1990–1991
- Associate Professor, Department of Neurology and Neurosurgery, Faculty of Medicine, McGill University, Montreal, QC
- Associate Member, Department of Anatomy and Cell Biology, Faculty of Medicine, McGill University, QC
- Associate Physician, Department of Medicine (Neurology), Montreal General Hospital, Montreal, QC
- Chalk C (2007). Neuropathy, peripheral. In LR Squire, ed., New Encyclopedia of Neuroscience (in press).
- Chalk C, Benstead TJ, Moore F (2007). Aldose reductase inhibitors for the treatment of diabetic polyneuropathy. Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews (4). Oxford: Update Software.
- Chalk C (2005). Diseases of spinal roots. In PJ Dyck, PK Thomas, eds., Peripheral Neuropathy, 4th edition. Philadelphia: Elsevier Saunders.
- Fellows LK, Foster BJ, Chalk CH (2003). Clinical significance of complex repetitive discharges: A case-control study. Muscle and Nerve, 28(4): 504–507.
- Suarez GA, Chalk CH, et al. (2001). Diagnostic accuracy and certainty from sequential evaluations in peripheral neuropathy. Neurology, 57(6): 1118–1120.
- Ashworth NL, Zochodne DW, Hahn AF, Pillay N, Chalk C, et al. (2000). Impact of plasma exchange on indices of demyelination in chronic inflammatory demyelinating polyradiculoneuropathy. Muscle and Nerve, 23(2): 206–210.
- Chalk CH (2004). Diseases of the peripheral nervous system. In DC Dale, ed., ACP Medicine, section 11, chap. 2. New York: WebMD.
- Plasma Exchange/Sandoglobulin Guillain-Barré Trial Group (1997). Randomised trail of plasma exchange, intravenous immunoglobulin, and combined treatments in Guillain-Barré syndrome. Lancet, 349(9047): 225–230.