David C. W. Lau, MD, PhD, FRCPC - Endocrinology and Metabolism
Dr. David Lau reviews medical content for Healthwise, a nonprofit organization with a mission to help people make better health decisions. Dr. Lau is a practicing endocrinologist who specializes in diabetes, obesity, and lipid disorders. He is a Professor of Medicine, Biochemistry and Molecular Biology, and Chair of the Diabetes and Endocrine Research Group at the University of Calgary.
Dr. Lau is President of Obesity Canada which is a not-for-profit organization aimed at improving the health of Canadians by reducing the occurrence of obesity through research, education, and service. In 2004 he was honored as one of the top 20 Calgarians and one of the top 50 Albertans for his contributions to health care and research related to obesity.
Dr. Lau is an active researcher, educator, and clinician, and he has published over 100 scientific papers. He is also involved in giving public lectures and forums on diabetes, lipids, and obesity. He spearheaded the evidence-based Obesity Canada clinical practice guidelines for the management and prevention of obesity in adults and children. He has served as an expert panel member on the WHO-International Obesity Task Force and the 1998, 2003, and 2007 Canadian Diabetes Association Clinical Practice Guidelines for Body Weight Classification, and he is currently a member of the expert panel for the 2007 guideline update.
- American Boards of Internal Medicine
- Fellow, Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons of Canada
Healthwise Knowledgebase Topics Reviewed
- Type 2 Diabetes
- Cushing's Syndrome
- Diabetes-Related High and Low Blood Sugar Levels
- MD: University of Toronto, ON
- PhD: University of Toronto, ON
- Internship and Residency: Harvard Medical School, Internal Medicine and Endocrinology
- Residency and Fellowship: University of Toronto, Internal Medicine and Endocrinology
- Professor of Medicine, Biochemistry and Molecular Biology, University of Calgary
- American Diabetes Association
- Canadian Diabetes Association
- Canadian Society of Endocrinology and Metabolism
- The Endocrine Society
- The Obesity Society
- Lau DCW (2006). Synopsis of the 2006 Canadian clinical practice guidelines on the management and prevention of obesity in adults and children. Canadian Medical Association Journal, 176(8): 1103–1106.
- Lau DCW, et al. (2006). Canadian clinical practice guidelines on the management and prevention of obesity in adults and children. Canadian Medical Association Journal, 176(8 suppl): S1–13.
- Lau DCW, Dhillon B, Yan H, Szmitko P, Verma S (2005). Adipokines: Molecular links between obesity and atherosclerosis. American Journal of Physiology. Heart and Circulatory Physiology, 288(5): H2031–H2041.
- Lau DCW, Yan H, Dhillon B (2006). Metabolic syndrome: A marker of patients at high cardiovascular risk. Canadian Journal of Cardiology, 22(suppl B): 85B-90B.
- Padwal R, Li SK, Lau DCW (2003). Long-term pharmacotherapy for obesity and overweight. Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews (4). Oxford: Update Software.