Marc S. Micozzi, MD, PhD - Complementary and Alternative Medicine
Dr. Marc S. Micozzi reviews medical content for Healthwise, a nonprofit organization with a mission to help people make better health decisions. Dr. Micozzi is in private practice following his service as director of the Center for Integrative Medicine at Thomas Jefferson University in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. He is the past executive director of the College of Physicians of Philadelphia. Prior to joining the College, Dr. Micozzi was the founding director of the National Museum of Health and Medicine and a Distinguished Scientist with the American Registry of Pathology in Washington, DC.
Dr. Micozzi is the author of Fundamentals of Complementary and Alternative Medicine), the first textbook on this subject for physicians and medical students, now going into a 4th edition. He was the founding editor of the Journal of Alternative and Complementary Medicine and Seminars in Integrative Medicine. Dr. Micozzi has worked to foster communication and cooperation between mainstream and alternative medicine on issues of policy, research, and education.
- MD and PhD: University of Pennsylvania, 1979
- Internship: Pennsylvania Hospital, 1980–1981
- Pathology Residency: Pennsylvania Hospital, 1981–1983
- Forensic Pathology Fellowship: University of Miami, 1983–1984
- Adjunct Professor, University of Pennsylvania, 1996–present
- Adjunct Professor, Uniformed Services University of Health Science, Bethesda, MD, 1986–1995
- Adjunct Faculty, Georgetown University School of Medicine, 2006–present
- American Academy of Forensic Sciences
- American Anthropological Association
- American Association for the Advancement of Science
- American Public Health Association
- Micozzi MS (2007). Complementary and Alternative Medicine in Cancer Care and Prevention. New York: Springer.
- Micozzi MS (2006). Fundamentals of Complementary and Alternative Medicine, 3rd edition. New York: Elsevier.
- Micozzi MS (2003). Alternative or complementary medicine: Opportunities for integration. SKINmed, 2(3): 175–180.
- Micozzi MS (2001). Double standards and double jeopardy for CAM research. Journal of Alternative and Complementary Medicine, 7(1): 13–14.