John B. Moeschler, MD - Pediatrics, Medical Genetics
Dr. John B. Moeschler reviews medical content for Healthwise, a nonprofit organization with a mission to help people make better health decisions. Dr. Moeschler is board-certified in pediatrics and medical genetics and has served on various national committees including Dysmorphology Committee, American College of Medical Genetics, Board of Directors for the American Association of University Affiliated Programs, the Information and Education Committee for the American Society of Human Genetics, and the Committee on Genetics, American Academy of Pediatrics. He was also the AAP liaison to the Committee on Genetics of the American College of Obstetrics and Gynecology. Dr. Moeschler served on the Editorial Board of Genetic Resource, published by the Massachusetts State Genetics Program and the New England Regional Genetics Group. He is the Consulting Editor for Mental Retardation, published by the American Association on Mental Retardation. Dr. Moeschler is a journal referee for Pediatrics, the American Journal of Medical Genetics, Annals of Plastic Surgery, and Mental Retardation.
Dr. Moeschler is active in several research projects, with his primary focus on individuals with disabilities and neurodevelopmental disabilities, and on delineation of genetic syndromes. He is an active speaker at both regional and national conferences and is widely published in a variety of peer- reviewed journals.
Healthwise Knowledgebase Topics Reviewed
- Tay Sachs Disease
- DNA Fingerprinting
- Genetic Testing
- MD: University of Nebraska College of Medicine, Omaha, Nebraska, 1975
- Internship: Pediatrics, University of Nebraska Medical Center, Omaha, NE, 1975–1976
- Residency: Pediatrics, University of Nebraska Medical Center, Omaha, NE, 1976–1978
- Fellowship, Developmental Disabilities, University of Washington, Dept. of Pediatrics, Child Development and Mental Retardation Center (A University Affiliated Program), Seattle, WA, 1978–1980
- Professor, Dept. of Pediatrics, Dartmouth Medical School, Dartmouth-Hitchcock Medical Center, Lebanon, New Hampshire, 1988–present
- Director, Clinical Genetics, Dept. of Pediatrics, DHMC, Lebanon, NH, 1993–present
- Co-director, Familial Cancer Program, Norris Cotton Cancer Center, DHMC, Lebanon, NH, 1995–present
- American Academy of Pediatrics (Fellow)
- American Academy of Cerebral Palsy & Developmental Medicine (Fellow)
- American Association on Mental Retardation (Fellow)
- American Society of Human Genetics (Fellow)
- Association for Persons with Severe Handicaps
- Society for Developmental Pediatrics (Fellow)
- Park JP, Moeschler JB, Davies WS, Patel PI, Mohandas TK (1998). Smith-Magenis Syndrome resulting from a de novo direct insertion of proximal 17q into 17p11.2. American Journal of Medical Genetics, 77(1): 23–27.
- Park JP, Moeschler JB, Hani V, Mohandas TK (1998). Maternal disomy and Prader-Willi syndrome consistent with gamete complementation in a case of familial translocation (3;15)(p25;q11.2).American Journal of Medical Genetics, 78(2): 134–139.
- Mohandas TK, et al. (1999). Paternally derived de novo interstitial duplication of proximal 15q in a patient with developmental delay. American Journal of Medical Genetics, 82(4): 294–300.