W. David Colby IV, MSc, MD, FRCPC - Infectious Disease
Dr. Colby is a consultant for the Infectious Diseases Service at London Health Sciences Centre. He also is the director of the University Hospital Travel Medicine and Tropical Diseases Service in London, Ontario.
Dr. Colby is a well-known researcher who has been the principal or secondary investigator of several clinical trials. He was the regional coordinator for a nationally organized surveillance project. He also has been involved in many research groups, including the Vaccine and Virus Host Interactions Group (VVHIG), the Barer/Stoddart Report Task Force, and the Canadian ciprofloxacin study group.
Dr. Colby is an accomplished speaker who has made numerous presentations at conferences in Canada, France, and the United States. In addition, he has had TV and radio appearances covering a variety of medical topics, including infectious diseases and antibiotic resistance.
Since 1990, Dr. Colby has been a fellowship examiner for the Canadian Society of Laboratory Technologists. He has served on many hospital and university committees and he has received many awards, including Honourary Class President of the University of Western Ontario Medicine, classes of 1996, 2001, and 2005.
Dr. Colby has served as reviewer for Clinical and Investigative Medicine, University of Western Ontario Medical Journal, and the Canadian Medical Association Journal.
Healthwise Knowledgebase Topics Reviewed
- Human Immunodeficiency Virus (HIV) Infection
- E. coli Infection
- MD: University of Toronto, Toronto, ON, 1984
- Internship: Rotating, St. Joseph's Hospital, London, ON, 1984–1985
- Residency: Medical Microbiology, University Hospital, London, ON, 1986–1989
- Fellowship: Cancer Research, Department of Pathology, University of Western Ontario, London, ON (Sponsored by the Cancer Research Society), 1985–1986
- Associate Professor: Department of Microbiology and Immunology and the Department of Medicine, University of Western Ontario, London, ON, 2001–present
- Assistant Professor: School of Dentistry, University of Western Ontario, London, ON, 1999–present
- Ontario and Canadian Medical Association
- Canadian Association of Medical Microbiologists
- American Society for Microbiology
- American Society of Tropical Medicine and Hygiene
- Canadian Association for Clinical Microbiology and Infectious Disease
- European Society of Clinical Microbiology and Infectious Diseases
- London and District Academy of Medicine
- International Society for Infectious Diseases
- Association of Medical Microbiologists of Ontario
- University of Western Ontario Clinical Teachers Association
- Canadian Infectious Diseases Society
- International Society for Chemotherapy
- International Society of Travel Medicine
- Wilderness Medical Society
- Wilson RW, Steingrube VA, Brown BA, Blacklock Z, Jost KC Jr, McNabb A, Colby WD, Biehle J, Gibson JL, Wallace RJ (1997). Recognition of a nocardia transvalensis complex by resistance to aminoglycosides. Journal of Clinical Microbiology, 35: 2235–2242.
- Shuttleworth R, Behme RJ, McNabb A, Colby WD (1997). Human isolates of staphylococcus caprae: Association with bone and joint infections. Journal of Clinical Microbiology, 35: 2537–2541.
- McNabb A, Shuttleworth R, Behme R, Colby WD (1997). Fatty acid characterization of the rapidly growing pathogenic aerobic actinomycetes as a means of identification. Journal of Clinical Microbiology, 35: 1361–1368.
- Colby WD (1998). Antibiotic Resistance and Pharmacokinetics: A Short Tutorial. Saint-Laurent, Quebec: Pharmaceutical Products Division.
- Blondeau JM, Ysdvhuk Y, Colby WD, the Canadian Ciprofloxacin Study Group. Canadian ciprofloxacin susceptibility study form 15 medical centers. Antimicrobial agents and Chemotherapy, 41: 1729–1732.
- Colby WD (2006). Optimizing Antimicrobial Therapy—A Pharmacometric Approach. Port Huron, MI: North American Compendiums.