Fred R. Volkmar, MD - Pediatric Psychiatry
Dr. Fred Volkmar reviews medical content for Healthwise, a nonprofit organization with a mission to help people make better health decisions. Dr. Volkmar is a professor of child psychiatry and a professor of pediatrics and psychology at Yale University in New Haven, Connecticut. He is also the Irving B. Harris Professor of Child Psychiatry, Pediatrics, and Psychology and Director at the Yale Child Study Center in New Haven.
Dr. Volkmar is a well-known expert on autism and pervasive developmental disorders. He is widely published and serves as a reviewer for numerous peer reviewed journals on child development.
- General Psychiatry, American Board of Psychiatry and Neurology—1981
- Child Psychiatry, American Board of Psychiatry and Neurology—1988
- MD: Stanford University, Stanford, CA, 1976
- Residency: Psychiatry, Stanford University School of Medicine, 1976–1980
- Fellowship: Child Psychiatry, Child Study Center, Yale University School of Medicine, New Haven, CN, 1980–1982
- Irving B. Harris Professor of Child Psychiatry, Pediatrics and Psychology at the Yale University Child Study Center
- Academy on Mental Retardation
- American Academy of Child and Adolescent Psychiatry
- American Psychiatric Association
- Connecticut Council of Child Psychiatrists
- Connecticut Academy of Arts and Sciences
- Society for Research in Developmental Psychopathology
- Society for Research in Child Development
- Volkmar FR, et al. (2005). Handbook of Autism and Pervasive Developmental Disorders, New York: John Wiley and Sons.
- Klin A, Pauls D, Schultz R, Volkmar F (2005). Three diagnostic approaches to Asperger syndrome: Implications for research. Journal of Autism and Developmental Disorders, 35(2):221–234.
- Volkmar FR, et al. (2005). Autism in infancy and early childhood. Annual Review of Psychology, 56:315–336.
- Woodbury-Smith M, Klin A, Volkmar F (2005). Asperger's syndrome: A comparison of clinical diagnoses and those made according to the ICD-10 and DSM-IV. Journal of Autism and Developmental Disorders, 35(2):235–240.
- Volkmar FR, Wiesner LA (2004). Healthcare for Children on the Autism Spectrum. A Guide to Medical, Nutritional, and Behavioral Issues. Bethesda, MD: Woodbine House.
- Volkmar FR, et al. (2004). Autism and pervasive developmental disorders. Journal of Child Psychology and Psychiatry, 45(1):135–170.
- Klin A, Volkmar FR, et al., eds. (2000). Asperger Syndrome. New York: Guilford Press.