Sidney Zisook, MD - Psychiatry
Dr. Sidney Zisook reviews medical content for Healthwise, a nonprofit organization with a mission to help people make better health decisions. Dr. Zisook is a professor of psychiatry at the University of California, San Diego. Dr. Zisook is an associate editor for the Annals of Clinical Psychiatry and serves on the board for Family Practice Recertification. He actively reviews for a multitude of journals including the American Journal of Psychiatry and the New England Journal of Medicine. Dr. Zisook is actively involved in a variety of research projects related to mood and anxiety disorders and a variety of psychopharmacologic agents.
- MD: Stritch-Loyola, Chicago, IL, 1969
- Internship: Michael Reese Medical Center, Chicago, IL, 1970
- Residency: Psychiatry, Massachusetts General Hospital, Boston, MA, 1973
- Fellowship: Psychiatry, Harvard Medical School, Boston, MA, 1973
- Academic/Professional Appointments Board Examiner, American Board of Psychiatry and Neurology, 1980–present
- University of California, San Diego Medical Center Hospital, San Diego, CA
- Director, Residency Training Program, Department of Psychiatry, University of California, San Diego, CA, 1995–present
- Professor, Department of Psychiatry, University of California, San Diego, CA, 1987–present
- American Academy of Clinical Psychiatry
- American College of Psychiatry
- American Psychiatric Association
- American Society of Clinical Psychopharmacology
- San Diego Psychiatric Society
- Zisook S, Shuchter SR, Dunn LB (2004). Comprehensive review of geriatric psychiatry. In Grief and Bereavement, 3rd edition, pp. 579–608. New York, NY: W. W. Norton and Company
- Dutton SC, Zisook S (2005). Adaptation to bereavement. Death Studies, 29(10): 877–903.
- Zisook, S, Kendler K. (2007). Is bereavement related depression different than non-bereavement related depressions? Psychological Medicine, 37(6): 779–794.
- Zisook S, Shear K, Kendler KS (2007). Validity of the bereavement exclusion criterion for the diagnosis of major depressive episode. World Psychiatry, 6(2): 102–107.
- Zisook S, Shear K, Irwin S (in press). Death, dying, and bereavement. In BJ Sadock, et al., eds., Kaplan and Sadock's Comprehensive Textbook of Psychiatry, 9th ed. Baltimore, MD: Lippincott, Williams, and Wilkins.