J. Curtis Nickel, MD, FRCSC - Urology
Dr. Nickel was born and educated and completed his undergraduate, surgical, urological, and research training in Canada. He has been a member of the Department of Urology at Queen's University since 1984 and was promoted to full professor in 1994.
Dr. Nickel's research has been in the fields of inflammatory diseases of the urinary tract and benign diseases of the prostate gland. He has written more than 340 scientific papers, reviews, chapters, and books on these subjects. He maintains a laboratory at Queen's University, funded by peer-reviewed and industry grants. His Prostatitis Clinical Research Center is funded in part by a grant from the NIH/NIDDK.
Dr. Nickel participates—as organizer, chairman, invited lecturer, or visiting professor—in many local, national and international university and CME events. He has given invited lectures in over 35 countries. He is on the scientific or review panel of numerous granting agencies, a regular reviewer for many urological and medical journals, and on the editorial board of a number of national and international urological journals.
- Fellow of the Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons (Canada), F.R.C.S.(C.), Urology—1983
- American Board of Urology—1985, Recertified 1995, 2005
- MD: Queen's University, 1978
- Surgical Internship, Memorial University, Newfoundland, 1978–79
- Urology Residency, Queen's University, 1979–80
- Surgical Residency, Memorial University, Newfoundland, 1981–82
- Urology Residency (Chief Resident), Queen's University, 1982–83
Selected Scholarly Activities
- Canadian Prostate Health Council, 1991–Present
- Editorial Board: Canadian Journal of Urology, 1993–Present
- Member of the American Board of Urology Examination Committee, 1995–1999
- Member of the Steering Committee of the NIH Chronic Prostatitis Collaborative Research Network, 1998–Present
- Editorial Board: Reviews in Urology, 1999–Present
- Editorial Board: Prostate Cancer and Prostatic Diseases, 1999–Present
- Editorial Board: British Journal of Urology International, 1999–Present
- Examiner, American Board of Urology, 1999–Present
- Canadian Prostate Health Council
- NIH Chronic Prostatitis Collaborative Research Network
- International Prostatitis Collaborative Network American
- Board of Urology
- Borth CS, Nickel JC (2006). Management of spontaneous prostate related bleeding. American Urology Association, Update Series. 25: 1–8.
- Nickel, JC (2006). The overlapping lower urinary symptoms of benign prostatic hyperplasia and prostatitis. Current Opinions in Urology, 16: 5–10.
- Nickel JC, et al. (2005). Prevalence, diagnosis, characterization, and treatment of prostatitis, interstitial cystitis, and epidymitis in outpatient urological practice: The Canadian PIE Study. Urology, 66: 935–940.
- Nickel JC, Moon T (2005). Chronic bacterial prostatitis: An evolving clinical enigma. Urology, 66:2–8.
- Nickel JC, Herschorn S, Corcos J et al. (2005). Canadian guidelines for the management of benign prostatic hyperplasia. Canadian Journal of Urology, 12: 2677–2683.