Iron toxicity caused by iron overdose

Iron toxicity occurs when the body has excessive amounts of iron. The most common cause of iron toxicity is accidental overdose of iron pills by children. Iron pills often attract children because they look like candy. It is important to keep iron pills and all medicines out of the reach of children.

Stomach problems, such as vomiting and diarrhea, usually occur within 6 hours of the overdose. Depending upon the amount of iron ingested, symptoms may improve and recovery may follow.

If symptoms do not improve on their own or are left untreated, death can occur 12 to 48 hours after the overdose.

Last Updated: April 24, 2009

related physicians

related services

Bon Secours International| Sisters of Bon Secours USA| Bon Secours Health System

This information does not replace the advice of a doctor. Healthwise disclaims any warranty or liability for your use of this information. Your use of this information means that you agree to the Terms of Use. Privacy Policy. How this information was developed to help you make better health decisions.

© 1995-2010 Healthwise, Incorporated. Healthwise, Healthwise for every health decision, and the Healthwise logo are trademarks of Healthwise, Incorporated.