St. Francis Named Top Perfoming Hospital by Quest Collaborative
Bon Secours St. Francis Hospital is among the 2011 Top Performing Hospitals in the Premier healthcare alliance's national QUEST collaborative. Based on three years of data of the QUEST: High Performing Hospitals collaborative, St. Francis is among just 95 hospitals nationwide that will share a $2 million monetary award for top performance in:
- Increasing delivery of recommended evidence-based care to every patient, every time. For example, providing flu vaccinations to all pneumonia patients, or presribing a high blood pressure or chest pain medication to all heart attack patients prior to discharge.
- Saving lives by reducing avoidable hospital mortalities
- Safely reducing the cost of care for each patient's hospitalization
"Being a QUEST member means redesigning the way we operate so that patients receive reliable, safe and efficient healthcare every time they come to us," says Mark Nantz, St. Francis CEO. "By collaborating to share our patient outcomes data and provider best practices with other members, we are leading the industry in driving the best results."
QUEST supports hospitals in delivering the best care possible, as well as sharing collaborative solutions to improve healthcare nationwide and influence public policies. Together, the current 278 QUEST members share ideas, strategies and proven practices to reduce variation, an approach that has been shown to improve care quality, safety and cost.
In just 30 months, QUEST members saved 25,235 lives and reduced healthcare spending by $2.85 billion through the delivery of high quality, evidence-based care to 63,094 patients. In addition:
- Members' observed mortality rate is 5% lower than non-participants when compared to what is expected
- Member costs for impatient care have increased only 4%, compared to a national cost increase of 21%
- Members began increasing adherence to evidence-based care delivery in patient experience, harm and readmissions last year to support new improvement goals such as those proposed by the Partnership for Patients program.
Premier will announce complete year three collaborative results later this month.
Susan DeVore, Premier President and CEO says, "These hospitals challenged themselves to overcome process failures and excessive costs by measuring themselves against each other to drive success. The achievements made by QUEST members are remarkable as they continue to reveal what is possible in healthcare. St. Francis is a ture standard-setter for top quality care in America, as they support the health of people in their community."
An advisory panel of experts from the country's top health organizations, such as the National Quality Forum, The Joint Commission and the Institute for Healthcare Improvement, guide collaborative members to achieve success.