Center of Excellence in Minimally Invasive Gynecology
If given the choice, nearly anyone would choose a minimally-invasive option for surgery. With advances in technology and training for physicians, more procedures than ever before are now being performed with smaller incisions, less blood loss and less disturbance of surrounding tissues. The benefits are clear – diminished pain, faster recovery and shorter hospital stays.
Minimally Invasive Gynecology Surgery
Now, women in the Upstate have another reason to choose minimally invasive gynecologic surgeries – ST. FRANCIS eastside has been designated as an AAGL Center of Excellence in Minimally Invasive Gynecology (COEMIG), by the Surgical Review Corporation.
Center of Excellence
This program recognizes surgeons and facilities that demonstrate an unparalleled ability to consistently deliver safe, effective, evidence-based care. The program is structured to help minimally invasive gynecologic surgery providers continuously improve care quality and patient safety.
“Earning the center of excellence designation signifies our ability to consistently deliver the safest, highest-quality care to women having minimally invasive gynecologic surgery,” says Bon Secours Medical Group physician and COEMIG Designee, Everett Fuller, MD.
COEMIG designation requires an extensive review of a hospital’s surgical facilities, operations, procedures and outcomes as well as its staff’s education, training and continuous quality improvement efforts.
"We are most definitely raising the bar for the minimally invasive care of women,” says Rose Leo, VP of Women's and Ancillary Services at St. Francis. “We want women in our community to know that our facility puts such an emphasis on minimally invasive treatment and care."
COEMIG Designated Physicians
The following physicians have also received COEMIG designation. Seeing one of these physicians in tandem with having a minimally invasive gynecology procedure done at ST. FRANCIS eastside means women have both an expert surgeon and expert facility that has proven excellence.
- Brandi Alt, DO | Upstate OB/GYN Group
- Everett Fuller, MD | Commonwealth Women's Care
- David Godwin, MD | Commonwealth Women's Care
- David Griffin, MD | Upstate Oncology Associates
- Edward Heidtman, MD | Carolina Women's Health
- Rebecca Keith, MD | Carolina Women's Health
- Todd Lantz, MD | Upstate OB/GYN Group
- Ralph Lattimore, MD | Carolina Women's Health
- Fleming Mattox, MD | Carolina Continence Center
- Vanessa Mazzoli, MD | Carolina Women's Health
- James Metherell, MD | Highlands Center for Women
- John Nichols, MD | Piedmont Reproductive Endocrinology Group
- Harvey Sikes, MD | Carolina Women's Health
- Matthew Smith, MD | Highlands Center for Women
Gynecologic Conditions That Can Be Treated With Minimally Invasive Surgery
The following conditions can be treated with minimally invasive gynecologic surgery:
- Investigation and treatment of pelvic pain
- Uterine fibroids
- Abnormal uterine bleeding
- Treatment for some types of infertility
Some minimally invasive treatment options include:
If you have one of these conditions and are considering surgery, contact one of the COEMIG-designated OB-GYNs listed above, and ask to have your surgery at COEMIG-designated ST. FRANCIS eastside.